We are in the process of creating this new website to share information and raise awareness about the Brixham Non-Conformist churchyard, its history, significance to the town of Brixham, the services we provide and the current issues facing the Trustees today.
Set up on 16 May 1850 when the founding Trustees paid William Gillard Snr and Jnr £50 for a parcel of land in Pomeroy’s Court Field. (Drew St now)
Added together, it’s just less than three acres. Taking care of the burial ground is the responsibility of the current Trustees working on behalf of all the Non Conformist Churches in Brixham.
The Trustees arrange for all the necessary maintenance in the churchyard to be carried out: regular grass cutting and trimming of shrubs. A contribution is also made to the Parochial Church Council who manage the rest of the churchyard, for the bills arising from the removal of rubbish. This work is ongoing and in a recent review a number of memorials were found to be unstable.
So how is all that paid for? Fees, for burials or interment of ashes, are received from Funeral Directors and Monumental Masons for the placement of memorials. Many relatives and friends also make annual personal donations for the maintenance of their loved ones’ grave. Donations have also been made by the Non-Conformist Churches. Restoring and making the churchyard safe comes at a cost. Regular donations are essential to keep this work going and continue the preservation.